Eligibility and Requirements
- Girls who are dependents of the courts are referred by county social service agencies and must have proof of pregnancy or may already be parenting a child. Mary's Shelter is a Level 12 licensed group home with applicable AFDC rates.
- We also provide AB12 services for teen mothers aged 18 to 20 years old.
- Pregnant girls aged 12 to 17 from homeless families or families in crisis must have proof of pregnancy and have the permission of her parent or guardian to live at Mary's Shelter.
- Girls will be reunited with their families as soon as possible and may stay no longer than two weeks after the birth of the baby.
- Family members must be willing to participate in counseling, take the pregnant teen to doctor and hospital visits when possible, provide medical insurance if available, and provide clothing and spending money.
- Fees are requested on a sliding scale to help pay for the board and care of the teen mother. Thanks to our donors, however, no girl in need will be turned down due to the inability of her family to pay for her care.
Residents must follow House Rules, including doing their share of chores, cooking, cleaning and laundry, adhere to individual schedules, school attendance, respectful behavior toward other residents and staff, participation in counseling sessions and required classes and groups. Residents must also agree to refrain from sexual intimacy and the use or possession of drugs, alcohol or cigarettes is not permitted during their stay at Mary's Shelter.